sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
WHAT WE’RE UP TO
As the COVID-19 pandemic shifted life into a more remote setting, social impact leaders have been scrambling to adapt their programming for what comes next. Help us create a new path forward by telling us about your views on the future of volunteering. Take our quick survey here.
- 80.8 percent of Californians who are vaccinated with at least one dose
- 73 percent of Californians who are fully vaccinated
- 81 percent of San Franciscans who are vaccinated with at least one dose
Twitter rolled out a new program to pre-bunk climate misinformation, or get ahead of false narratives about climate by exposing people to more accurate information on its platform.
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded AT&T a $182 million, 10-year Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions (EIS) contract to support its mission and relief efforts globally.
Alaska Airlines will partner with ZeroAvia to build the world’s largest zero-emission, hydrogen-fueled passenger plane.
Waymo will start mapping the complex traffic patterns of New York City this winter.
Spotlight Impact Story
Microsoft announced a new program for nonprofits that provides a suite of real-time monitoring and protection tools. The new offering, called Security Program for Nonprofits, is looking to help further protect those organizations that are a lifeline to some of the most vulnerable communities.
SAN FRANCISCO AT A GLANCE
- Mayor Breed announced that the temporary vehicle triage center at Candlestick will start serving individuals currently living in vehicles in January 2022.
- Mayor Breed launched the two-year, $12.5 million Welcome Ambassadors program to have ambassadors stationed downtown to greet and assist commuters, visitors, and residents.
- San Francisco will expand the Connected Worker App to increase the efficiency of 311 responses by improving street cleaning response times.
- Mayor Breed swore in David Chiu as the next San Francisco City Attorney.
- San Francisco launched the First Year Free initiative that waives first-year permits, initial licenses, and initial business registration fees for new small businesses.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- California launched a robust vaccination program for children ages five through 11 and is setting up 4,000 vaccine sites throughout the state.
- Governor Newsom launched the Encampment Resolution Grant program that gives $50 million in grants to local governments to help people experiencing homelessness move from encampments to housing.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
Since 2011, Project Color Corps has been engaging the community and professional designers in developing a design scheme that reflects their unique essence—creating a greater sense of ownership, empowerment, and pride. They then employ professional painters and galvanize volunteers to roll up their sleeves and paint. Throughout this process, they teach students and community members the fundamentals of color, the connection between color and emotion, and how color can be transformative. Find out how you can support or get involved with their upcoming projects at the Oakland Public Library and other projects around the Bay Area here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing email@example.com.