REMEMBERING BOB LEE
This month our community has been in mourning for the tragic loss of a pillar of our community, Bob Lee. Bob Lee, the founder of Cash App, was an incredibly talented, generous, and loving father and son. Bob’s tragic death here in San Francisco is a significant loss not only for his friends, family, and loved ones—but also for the tech community and the leaders within who knew him and his kind heart. While nothing can remedy the harm caused by this horrific act of violence, we hope that SFPD’s diligent work in arresting a suspect brings some closure to those who loved him and our community. Bob was integral to the founding of sf.citi over ten years ago, and his death is a reminder that coming together to support and uplift one another during these difficult times is more important than ever.
AMAZON WEB SERVICES NON-PROFIT COMMUNITY ROADSHOW
Amazon Web Services will host a Nonprofit Community Roadshow next Thursday, April 27th, from 2-7 pm at Amazon’s San Francisco Office, 525 Market Street. This free half-day event is dedicated to educating and empowering IT specialists working for nonprofits on utilizing and implementing best practices using AWS services. Representatives from nonprofits can attend a short series of seminars, ask for suggestions relevant to their organization’s mission, and network with other nonprofit leaders and tech professionals. If you work at a non-profit in a tech-related capacity and are interested in attending, please register on their website.
VERIZON CELEBRATES OPENING OF INNOVATION CENTER
sf.citi would like to acknowledge our member, Verizon, for opening its San Francisco Innovation Lab, one of three in the nation. The Innovation Lab represents a shift in Verizon’s focus from the “Art of the Possible” to the “Art of the Practical” regarding 5G wireless infrastructure technology applications. We are incredibly excited by their continued investment in San Francisco and look forward to the cutting-edge technology which will be developed in the lab.
SF NEWS & UPDATES
- What We Know About the Killing of the Cash App Founder Bob Lee (NY Times)
- Supes Unanimously Call for Affordable Internet Services for City’s Seniors, People With Disabilities (SFGATE)
- San Francisco’s Deficit Swells to $780M in Latest Sign of Budget Distress (SF Chronicle)
- AI to the rescue? Growing tech segment gives hope for SF’s downtown (The Real Deal)
- Mayor Breed introduces legislation to speed up S.F.’s housing production by reducing planning meetings (SF Chronicle)
- Downtown San Francisco Vacancies Hit Record High as City Nears Breaking Point (SF Standard)