sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
- 74.1 percent of Californians who are fully vaccinated
- 55.9 percent of Californians who are boosted
- 87 percent of San Franciscans who are fully vaccinated
Verizon announced the three winners of its inaugural Climate Resilience Prize, awarding $500k to scale solutions that are focused on reducing climate change impacts on communities.
Twitter’s new anti-abuse tool, Safety Mode, will be beta-tested in a few countries like the U.S. to give users a set of tools to defend themselves against toxicity and abuse.
As a part of AT&T’s 2035 Net-Zero Goal, the telecom company expanded its commitment to sourcing renewable energy with new solar power purchases from Vitol.
LinkedIn introduced a new feature to block political posts from the user’s feed.
Spotlight Impact Story
Google is creating a $100 million fund to sponsor an ambitious project to expand effective skills training and job placement programs for low-income Americans. Google will work with three nonprofits—Year Up, Merit America, and Social Finance— to target a big problem: how to find, train, and create paths to good jobs in the modern economy for the nearly two-thirds of American workers who do not have a four-year college degree.
SAN FRANCISCO AT A GLANCE
- Mayor Breed released her multi-year Children and Family Recovery Plan, a Citywide strategy for COVID-19 recovery for San Francisco’s children, youth, and families.
- Mayor Breed announced that through a $2.3 million investment to the African American Revolving Loan Fund, 51 San Francisco businesses will have their loans forgiven.
- The Board of Supervisors voted to place a $400 million Muni Reliability and Street Safety Bond onto the June 2022 ballot.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- Governor Newsom filed an amicus brief in the UC Berkeley enrollment case, arguing for college access and affordability.
- Governor Newsom announced a package of gun safety legislation to expand the state’s nation-leading protections against gun violence and hold the gun industry accountable.
- Governor Newsom unveiled the SMARTER Plan that focuses on continued readiness, awareness, and flexibility to guide California’s pandemic response.
- Governor Newsom announced more than $116 million in funding for seven Homekey projects, providing 387 housing units for people experiencing homelessness.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
SF New Deal provides supportive services and financial opportunities for small businesses in San Francisco. They work to address both the symptoms and root causes of inequity by building pathways that connect local business owners, workers, community leaders, and neighbors in need. Through direct service, advocacy, and coalition building, they create collective frameworks that address the City’s most persistent challenges for both immediate and lasting impact. Since the organization’s launch in April 2020, they’ve given away $33 million in government funds and private donations to more than 600 businesses. Learn how you can get involved and make a difference here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing email@example.com.