sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
WHAT WE’RE UP TO
We’ve seen a drastic change in volunteerism as a result of the pandemic. To get a clearer picture of how social impact leaders should adapt their programming, we want to hear from you on your volunteering experiences during the pandemic and how you plan to volunteer moving forward. Take our one-minute survey here.
- 79.3 percent of Californians who are vaccinated with at least one dose
- 61.2 percent of Californians who are fully vaccinated
- 87 percent of San Franciscans who are vaccinated with at least one dose
In looking at how the pandemic affected the way companies find and attract talent, Fast gave an in-depth look at how the company completely changed its recruiting tactics.
To mark the celebration of Veterans Day and underscore Verizon’s long-standing commitment to the military across the U.S., Verizon donated $250,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project.
Alaska Airlines launched a partnership with Hawaiin-based travel2change to make it easier for travelers to find and participate in authentic educational and cultural experiences during their Hawaii visit.
To help spread holiday cheer, Microsoft surprised 50,000 U.S. customers by emailing them virtual gift cards to the Microsoft Store. Double-check your inbox and spam folder!
Airbnb updated its search filters and accessibility review process with the goal of making it easier for people with disabilities to find accommodations on its platform.
In an effort to combat climate change and save the planet, Google’s little-known Earth Engine is helping nonprofits and researchers manage deforestation, floods, and droughts. The Earth Engine team has created a vast trove of open-source satellite imagery and augmented it with data-analysis software that makes it relatively easy for skilled outsiders to draw up their own interactive maps. More importantly, its team of staff scientists wrangles massive data sets to answer critical questions for a constellation of pro bono clients that includes conservation groups, city agencies, community advocates, and researchers.
Want to be the next Spotlight Impact Story? Become an sf.citi member or learn about our sponsorship opportunities.
SAN FRANCISCO AT A GLANCE
- Mayor Breed appointed former Supervisor Katy Tang to become the next Director of the Office of Small Business.
- Mayor Breed proposed an additional $2.5 million in funding to hire and train 50 new EMTs and paramedics amongst the current staffing shortages.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- Governor Newsom signed an executive order to ensure health care facilities have the staffing and resources needed to prevent potential strain ahead of a winter COVID-19 surge.
- Governor Newsom announced a $750,000 donation to purchase 86 tiny homes for veterans on the West Los Angeles Veteran Affairs campus.
- California joined the COP26 Declaration on Zero-Emission Cars and Vans, which aims to achieve 100 percent zero-emission vehicle sales by 2035 in the leading markets.
- California joined the Beyond Oil and Gas Alliance, bringing together governments committed to advancing a just transition away from oil and gas production.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
Since 1964, Bay Area-based Caminar has been working to improve community-based behavioral health services and opportunities for people to live and work in the community. Caminar delivers high-quality prevention, treatment, and recovery services to those with complex mental health, substance use, and co-occurring needs. They believe that the most vulnerable members of the community should be afforded the same quality of life opportunities as those around them. Find out how you can support and get more involved with Caminar’s effort to empower and support the most vulnerable members of the community to move toward wellness, resilience, and independence here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments are closed.