sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
- San Francisco 7-day test positivity rate: 3.1
- San Francisco 7-day rolling average new cases per day: 53
- San Francisco 7-day average case rate per 100,000: 5.9
- San Francisco 14-day hospitalization average: 69.9
THE LATEST IN TECH FOR GOOD
Google partnered with NIST to create new affordable chips with open source circuit designs for researchers and tech startups.
Comcast will open two new WiFi and laptop-equipped Lift Zones in Houston, supporting veterans and military families with internet access.
Salesforce awarded $25 million in new grants to support school districts and education nonprofits across the United States.
Throughout Hispanic Heritage Month, Intuit will share resources and host events for small businesses and consumers to fuel and celebrate their financial success.
Spotlight Impact Story
Building on Pinterest’s ongoing commitment to working with organizations that support teachers and students, Pinterest and First Lady Jill Biden, have recently collaborated to honor and support educators throughout the school year and beyond. Newly curated content, including Dr. Biden’s own Pinterest board containing education-focused publications, DYI ideas on Pinterest TV, and Teacher tips with Dr. Biden and Friends, have been announced ahead of World Teacher’s Day on October 4th.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- Governor Newsom signed an emergency proclamation to support communities recovering from fires that started during the recent extreme heat wave.
- Governor Newsom signed several measures to strengthen California’s cannabis laws, expand the legal cannabis market and redress the harms of cannabis prohibition.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation to equalize and strengthen penalties for using hate symbols and bolster security for targeted religious and community-based nonprofits.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation to support veterans harmed by discriminatory “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.
- California enacted some of the nation’s most aggressive climate measures in history as Governor Gavin Newsom signed a sweeping package of legislation.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation aimed at protecting the well-being, data, and privacy of children using online platforms.
- Governor Newsom signed CARE Court into law, providing a new path forward for Californians struggling with serious mental illness.
- Governor Newsom signed a social media transparency measure to protect Californians from hate and disinformation spread online.
Governor Newsom announced $254 Million in grants to improve libraries across the state and free online tutoring available to all Californians.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
Community Tech Network (CTN) believes that access to the Internet is a human right and that those without the skills to use a computer are at risk of social and economic disadvantage. CTN is dedicated to creating digital equity through bringing digital literacy and internet access to digitally-excluded communities. In pursuit of their mission to transform lives through digital literacy, they help adults of all ages decrease social isolation, improve workforce readiness skills, better access health resources, and more fully participate in the digital world. Learn more about how you can volunteer and get involved by visiting their website here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing email@example.com.