sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
WHAT WE’RE UP TO
The deadline to register for the upcoming recall election is next Monday, August 30. Participate in this critically important election on the California governorship by registering to vote here.
- 69.1 percent of Californians who are vaccinated with at least one dose
- 55.1 percent of Californians who are fully vaccinated
- 86 percent of San Franciscans who are vaccinated with at least one dose
Slack donated $54 million via its Pledge 1 percent commitment to the Salesforce Foundation to support young people’s education and workforce development programs.
Google launched a new program, Google Cloud’s Autism Career Program, to bring more people with autism into its cloud workforce and support them better.
Microsoft’s partnership with Volt Energy brings the company closer to its goal of using 100 percent renewable energy by 2025 and shows how climate and racial equity are getting connected.
AT&T expanded its IT apprenticeship program that trains entry-level talent in support of federal national security agencies. .
With Verizon’s support, the Tech4Girls workshop series aims to empower young girls around the globe to learn about different technologies and opportunities to shape their futures.
Spotlight Impact Story
Facebook announced that the company set a new climate goal to become water positive by 2030. This means Facebook will return more water to the environment than the company consumes for its global operations. To reach this ambitious goal, Facebook will invest in a combination of water restoration efforts in regions that are highly water-stressed, projects that will have a catalytic effect on watersheds, and technologies to increase water efficiency at its facilities.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- Governor Newsom signed an executive order to support communities impacted by recent wildfires and bolster response and recovery efforts.
- Governor Newsom commended the Biden Administration’s action to fully reimburse state and local governments for Project Roomkey costs through the rest of 2021.
- Governor Newsom signed an executive order to ensure hospitals have the staffing and resources needed to prevent potential strain and to provide staffing flexibility for schools to ensure continuity of in-person instruction for all students.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
Umoja Health is a coalition of community members and organizations whose goal is to increase COVID-19 testing and engagement in Black communities living in Oakland. By partnering with doctors, nurses, and infectious disease experts from UCSF, ACPHD, and the City of Oakland, they can facilitate community-level, voluntary COVID-19 testing, understand the extent of the virus in the community, link those affected to care and supportive services, and give guidance on COVID-19 restrictions. Support the critical work of Umoja Health by donating to their health justice fund or volunteering at their vaccine and testing popups.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing email@example.com.