sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
- San Francisco 7-day test positivity rate: 9.5%
- San Francisco 7-day rolling average new cases per day: 230
- San Francisco 7-day average case rate per 100,000: 17.7
- San Francisco 14-day hospitalization average: 121.9
Waymo designed new features to make its fleet of autonomous taxis more accessible to passengers with visual impairments and other disabilities.
Google launched a website version of its Read Along education app for encouraging young children to practice reading.
Meta started testing end-to-end encryption for individual Messenger chats.
Alaska Airlines launched a new program to advance sustainable aviation fuels through corporate partnerships and shared learning.
Funding Circle is partnering with Farm Bureau Bank to provide capital to small business owners from all walks of life, including the agricultural community, across the country.
Spotlight Impact Story
Google is aware its searches can give misleading results, and now they want to fix that. The company announced that they were making improvements to its featured snippets system, namely the box at the top of Google searches that tries to offer the most relevant result related to a query. Now, Google said it will use the company’s AI Multitask Unified Model to determine whether multiple quality sources agree on the same fact before moving it to the top of users’ results. This solution is part of a company-wide effort to launch more ways to verify information found on sites, including an “About this source” feature on any page in the Google app.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- Governor Newsom announced California’s latest actions to increase water supply and adapt to more extreme weather patterns caused by climate change.
- California launched the CalKIDS program, which will invest $1.9 billion into accounts for low-income school-age children grades 1 to 12 and all newborns.
- Governor Newsom nominated Supreme Court Associate Justice Patricia Guerrero to serve as California’s next Chief Justice.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
Old Skool Cafe is a one-of-a-kind youth-run supper club in San Francisco’s Bayview neighborhood that trains and employs at-risk youth, ages 16 to 22, to run all aspects of the business. Learning to be hosts, servers, chefs, and entertainers, the nonprofit offers youth a solution for addressing their basic needs and breaks the cycle of poverty and incarceration. They provide a supportive environment to help youth maintain employment and be successful in all aspects of their lives. Learn more about the Old Skool Cafe youth program or how you or your organization can support the nonprofit here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.