sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
WHAT WE’RE UP TO
One more week before election day! Whether you plan to vote by mail or in person, use sf.citi’s election resources to navigate the crowded ballot easily. Explore sf.citi’s Voter Guide, Candidate Questionnaire, and Election Primer here.
- San Francisco 7-day test positivity rate: 4.1
- San Francisco 7-day rolling average new cases per day: 66
- San Francisco 7-day average case rate per 100,000: 4.1
- San Francisco 14-day hospitalization average: 50.1
THE LATEST IN TECH FOR GOOD
Pinterest partnered with Headspace to provide mental health resources and offer free access to Headspace’s offerings for its influencers.
Cruise and Waymo filed requests to keep their trip-level data for their robotaxis and electric vehicle charger information confidential.
Google set up a high-tech school in Israel to train high-tech professionals, offering computer programming, sales, and data analysis courses.
AT&T opened applications for its Rising Future Makers program that honors 25 students from HBCUs who make a difference in their community and campus.
Spotlight Impact Story
LinkedIn announced plans to roll out a series of enhancements to its platform to protect its community from fake or malicious profiles and activity. The enhancements include providing additional information about user profiles, back-end features to detect fake profiles, and systems to stop suspicious messages. LinkedIn users will start to see an “About This Profile” feature that will provide information on when a profile was created or last updated and whether or not it is attached to a verified phone number or work email account.
SAN FRANCISCO AT A GLANCE
- City officials passed a plan to expand the use of community ambassadors and civilian police department personnel to help improve public safety in San Francisco.
- The City opened the Southeast Community Center, a state-of-the-art space designed to bring local residents together in the Bayview-Hunters Point community.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- The state awarded $96 million in grants for climate projects for 10 disadvantaged, unincorporated, and tribal communities across California.
- The state awarded $48 million in grants to eight California communities to help people living in encampments transition to stable housing.
- Governor Newsom announced a binational partnership with Mexico to advance a new port of entry at the San Diego and Tijuana border.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
The San Francisco-Marin Food Bank is a nonprofit organization that aims to end hunger in San Francisco and Marin. Their efforts focus on the immediate distribution of food while simultaneously working on long-term strategies to address hunger and empower neighbors in need. The Food Bank is a lifeline to many and food insecurity is only worsening due to the pandemic and current economic conditions. Find out how you or your organization can get involved and help the SF-Marin Food Bank meet the elevated levels of need and serve over 200,000 people a week here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing email@example.com.