sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
- San Francisco 7-day test positivity rate: 5.1%
- San Francisco 7-day rolling average new cases per day: 92
- San Francisco 7-day average case rate per 100,000: 7
- San Francisco 14-day hospitalization average: 54.9
THE LATEST IN TECH FOR GOOD
Uber and Visa announced the Grants for Growth recipients, a program that provides $1 million in grant funding to small businesses in 10 U.S. cities that are currently active on Uber Eats.
Instacart launched Instacart Health, a sweeping new initiative designed to deliver the ingredients for healthier living.
Meta is part of the pilot program with Climate Club, a new venture that provides companies tools to help employees track their contributions to climate change.
AT&T and Verizon are offering free wireless service to those impacted by Hurricane Ian and working with public safety agencies and emergency shelters to ensure service is maintained.
Google introduced a new Maps feature called Neighborhood Vibe that lets you check out the vibe of a neighborhood.
Spotlight Impact Story
Meta said it took down two unconnected networks of accounts on Facebook based in China and Russia seeking to influence political narratives in the U.S. and Europe. The Russia-based influence campaign mainly targeted Germany, France, Italy, Ukraine, and the U.K., impersonating legitimate news organizations in Europe that posted original articles criticizing Ukraine and arguing against Western sanctions on Russia. While the China-based operation targeted people on both sides of the political spectrum in the U.S., focusing on disrupting domestic politics ahead of the midterm elections.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- Governor Newsom signed legislation to crack down on the sale of stolen goods online.
- Governor Newsom deployed emergency personnel to Florida to aid with the response to Hurricane Ian.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation to boost small businesses and encourage employee entrepreneurship.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation expanding union rights for farmworkers.
- To build more housing faster in California, Governor Newsom signed legislation to streamline the housing approval process and create thousands of good-paying jobs.
- Governor Newsom signed a suite of bills to provide new protections for people who need abortion care and birth control.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation to support immigrants, advance equity, and expand opportunity.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
The Latino Community Foundation (LCF) is a local nonprofit that creates and nurtures relationships designed to accelerate impact in unprecedented ways for the Latino community. Its mission is to build a movement of civically engaged leaders, invest in Latino-led organizations, and increase the political participation of Latinos. To date, LCF has created the largest network of Latino philanthropists in the country, invested over $17 million in 150 grassroots Latino-led nonprofits across the state, and launched one of the largest campaigns to mobilize the Latino vote in California. Build your legacy through LCF by supporting or partnering with the organization here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing email@example.com.