sf.citi is committed to providing you ongoing updates about the latest community news and resources from the San Francisco tech industry and beyond.
Was this email forwarded to you or viewed on our website? Sign up here to receive sf.citi’s weekly Community Update directly in your inbox.
WHAT WE’RE UP TO
With ballots heading to San Francisco voters this week, seamlessly navigate the packed November ballot using sf.citi’s election resources. See how the Supervisor candidates compare on the City’s most pressing issues in our Candidate Questionnaire, review our recommendations for all 14 local ballot measures in our Voter Guide, and take a deep dive into the most impactful November 2022 ballot measures in our Election Primer. Explore all of them at sf.citi’s November 2022 San Francisco Election Resources page here.
- San Francisco 7-day test positivity rate: 6.6%
- San Francisco 7-day rolling average new cases per day: 88
- San Francisco 7-day average case rate per 100,000: 5.8
- San Francisco 14-day hospitalization average: 52.2
THE LATEST IN TECH FOR GOOD
Airbnb committed $5 million to provide free, temporary housing to people displaced by Hurricane Fiona and Hurricane Ian in the US and Caribbean.
Comcast donated $2 million in cash and in-kind to support Hurricane Ian relief efforts.
Waymo released a safety report that provides more clarity on the safety benchmarks for robotaxis.
Google picked South Africa for its first cloud region in Africa, which allows users in the region to deploy cloud resources and access several services.Verizon landed a $1.5 billion Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions task order from the State Department to modernize US embassies, consulars, and other key locations around the globe.
Spotlight Impact Story
As a part of the Instacart Health initiative, Instacart will expand its EBT SNAP payments program to all Instacart retail grocery partners by 2030. The company launched EBT SNAP payments in November 2020 and has since expanded the program to include more than 60 retailers. Instacart offers EBT SNAP acceptance through the Instacart Platform and will allow customers to use Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits next year.
CALIFORNIA AT A GLANCE
- Governor Newsom swore in the first class of #CaliforniansForAll College Corps Fellows, 3,200 students who pledged to serve the community to help pay for college.
- California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia signed a new Statement of Cooperation to recommit the region to advance climate action.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation to boost graduation and transfer rates and offer debt cancellation at community colleges.
- Governor Newsom signed legislation to reform the state’s conservatorship system to protect civil rights and support community living for people with disabilities.
SUPPORT OUR SAN FRANCISCO COMMUNITY
Women’s Audio Mission (WAM) is a San Francisco and Oakland-based recording studio and nonprofit dedicated to advancing women and gender-expansive people in music/audio production and creative technology. WAM uses music and media arts training, mentorship, and conferences to serve over 4,000 women, girls, and gender-expansive people annually to inspire them to amplify their voices and become the innovators of tomorrow. Their studios are the only professional recording studios in the world specifically built and ran entirely by women and gender-expansive staff. Learn more about their programming or how to support WAM’s mission here.
Would you like to be featured in a future sf.citi community update? Tell us about your work in San Francisco by emailing email@example.com.