2021 POLICY AGENDA > Business Tax Policy
Business Tax POLICY
Common-sense tax policies in San Francisco that promote innovation and continued job growth—for both the tech industry and beyond—continue to be key to sf.citi’s founding directive. We believe in smart and effective forms of business taxation and will continue to support these models, while strongly opposing any legislative or ballot proposal that is punitive or stifling for our industry.
- As the voice of the tech sector, sf.citi continues to both convene and participate in collaborative conversations with elected officials, community leaders, and other stakeholders to promote the growth of the tech industry and reasonable tax policy.
- sf.citi supports collaborative efforts to propose an equitable, fair, common-sense tax system that benefits the San Francisco business community and City alike.
- sf.citi opposes any and all tax policies that specifically target or penalize the San Francisco tech industry without efforts to collaborate with the industry itself.
- sf.citi is in favor of ending one-off taxes and sees this mitigated through a healthy and comprehensive tax system that is sustainable and addresses long-term issues that benefit both the community and the City. Additionally, we endorse efforts to pass a charter amendment requiring a majority of Supervisors to place a measure on the ballot—making San Francisco the last city and county in California to adopt such a rule.
- sf.citi supports a comprehensive approach to the City’s budget and tax conversations prior to new tax proposal introductions, including financial audits within City departments to ensure all San Francisco taxpayer dollars are efficiently spent on residents and City-sponsored resources.